A general distinction is made between regular import (using a guided workflow) and unsubscribe import.
Contact import overview (home page)
Here you can see all the contacts that have been imported so far for this account as well as a button "Start new contact import". The overview "Contact import" shows the assigned import name, the progress, start date and time of the imports, the user who carried out the import (usually an email address) and the link " Report ". If you click on this link, the " Import report " mask is opened . Here you will find information on the contacts added or changed by the import: name, importer, import date, duration and details. - Under " Details“Shows the number of processed and problematic contacts, followed by the number of added or updated contacts. Updated contacts were already in the system before the selected import, but new fields or field values were imported. Finally, the number of rejected and already unsubscribed contacts is displayed, if any. You can also download this import report by clicking on the “Download import report” link.
Start a new contact import
After clicking on this button, a selection for the type of contact import appears:
1. Regular import of contacts via a CSV contact file
after clicking on “continue” you are in step 1 of the workflow. The individual steps are file upload, text conversion, contact fields & options as well as permission & import.
Step 1: file upload
Here you can upload your contact file to the server in CSV, TXT or ZIP format. First, an import name must be assigned, then please click on "Upload contact file". If the upload is successful, this is indicated by a tick on a green background, followed by the addition “Contact file> File name <(> File size <) successfully loaded onto the server! as well as a link “delete file” if you do not want to upload the file after all. Then click on "continue".
Step 2: text conversion
Your import file may be subject to special formatting. Please set these options below and check the result in the live preview for correct character display and column separation. Maileon requires knowledge of how to create a CSV file. You can find general information as well as further links here , for example . File formatting : The preset character set can be changed using the selection list. The system tries to recognize the character set when the file is uploaded. Important: If the correct character set is not set here, the output text will be displayed incorrectly. The form of address is often affected here. You can do this with the following two selection listsChange the data field separator (standard: semicolon) and the decimal separator (standard: comma). The "Header" setting allows you to specify whether your file contains a header with column headings that should not be viewed as a data record during the upload. Contact preview : Here you can use the first 20 contacts in the file to check whether the formatting is correct. If so, please click on "continue".
Step 3: contact fields & options
This is where the mapping takes place, i.e. the assignment of the uploaded data fields to those in the account. Contact field assignment: Using an example contact, the column content is compared with the contact fields in the account. The contact fields to be assigned to the account can be changed using the selection list. Using the arrow symbol to the right of the sample contact, you can scroll back and forth between the contacts in your contact list. A simple example: if the uploaded file contains the data record email@example.com; Herr; Max; Mustermann; , you would assign the column content firstname.lastname@example.org to the contact field "E-Mail address", Mr to the field "Salutation", Max to the field "First name",Mustermann in the "Last Name" field. Of course, any number of additional contact fields can be mapped, such as zip code, city, birthday, etc. This ensures that the uploaded information is saved in the “right place”. With the button "Add new contact field" you can create additional contact fields in the account and immediately carry out the mapping on them. Contact import options: Various options are available for importing contacts with regard to the handling of forms and unsubscribers, and contact import filtering and tracking: a) Contact import option:Here you specify how the system should behave when contacts are imported that already exist in the account (so-called bletten) or appear several times in your file. You can choose between “Update existing contacts”, “Update existing contacts (ignore empty values *))” and “Do not update existing contacts”. Update existing contacts updates the existing contacts, the uploaded info is rated as newest and the data record in the account is overwritten with the new values if necessary. The second option does the same, but ignores empty data fields. The third option ignores new information that you may have uploaded for a data field and leaves the data record in the account at the previous status. *) Values without content in the contact import are empty fields,b) Unsubscribing treatment: the checkbox "ignore already unsubscribed contacts and do not reactivate" is checked by default. Please note that contacts who have already canceled have withdrawn your permission to send advertising material in accordance with the applicable legal situation in Germany! c) Filtering: " Ignore import of contacts with non-importable values": If the system encounters values during the import that are not recognized or cannot be imported, you can set the further behavior here and still import these values or refrain from them. If the e-mail address of the contact is affected, it will in all probability not be able to be sent if the value is imported.
Step 4: Permission & Import
Permission handling: Here you enter whether there is a permission for the uploaded contacts, ie whether the recipient has given his consent to the sending. If you select “Available”, a selection list for the permission method appears. Here you can choose between:
- Single opt-in : a one-time consent, for example by entering the e-mail address on the registration page. Here it is not guaranteed that the person registering is actually the same as the owner of the e-mail account.
- Confirmed opt-in : a confirmation email is sent to the registered email, but without a "Confirmation Link" for confirmation. Is often abused by spammers. The recipient must actively object to this in order not to receive advertising emails. This method is not legal in Germany and should not be used!
- Double opt-in : a confirmation email including a "confirmation link" will be sent to the specified email address. The registration will only be valid if the recipient clicks this link. This ensures that the recipient actually wants to receive your e-mails (the recipient has to log in to their mailbox to open the confirmation e-mail and click on the link). The double opt-in is the only permission method that XQ recommends due to the legal situation. In this context, the law against unfair competition is particularly important, especially Section 7, Paragraph 2, Numbers 2 and 3 (2004). Please note that XQ can only provide general information on this. If you have specific legal questions, please contact your lawyer.
- Double opt-in including consent to individual user tracking : this is the recommended method, as otherwise a large number of important reports would not be available. Accordingly, the following is displayed below the selection window: "If there is a permission without individual user tracking, many evaluation potentials based on contact response characteristics are not available."
Note: meaningful evaluations and a targeted reaction to recipient behavior are only possible if the contacts have given their consent to individual user tracking. Since only the double opt-in procedure guarantees legal security, we urgently recommend that you only send contacts with the permission method “double opt-in incl. Consent to individual user tracking”.
- Permission update : If it is an update, i.e. the import of existing contacts with new information, the following applies: the permission method is only defined for new contacts contained in the upload - the existing contacts are not affected. This simplifies the handling of accounts with heterogeneous permission states. If you still want to use the imported method on existing contacts, the checkbox “Update selected permission method for existing contacts” must be checked.
Contact import tracking: Here you have the option of creating a contact filter that contains all contacts from this import. If you decide on this option, an additional checkbox will be displayed "also create a distribution list based on the contact filter". If you plan to send exactly those recipients in the future that are in your import file, please mark the checkbox. Explanation:The checkbox must be selected here in order to be able to carry out the import: "I hereby assure that the information on the type and scope of the permission given above fully corresponds to the facts and is verifiable". Since the legal situation in Germany prescribes a verifiability of the permission (and possibly the consent to individual user tracking), no addresses can be imported without this declaration. Now you can start the import by clicking on the "Import contacts" button. The contact import overview is then displayed again.
2. Import of unsubscribers as part of a list of e-mail addresses
Here you can copy & paste the e-mail addresses of unsubscribers, for example to compare them with your CRM system. Please note the information in the import mask: - Please use either a line break, a comma or a semicolon as a separator. - Important: A maximum of 70,000 contacts can be unsubscribed per unsubscribe import! Confirm the action by clicking on the "Unsubscribe contacts" button.